Traumatic Brain or Spinal Cord Injury?
Our Reno Spine Injury Lawyer Is Committed to Helping Victims Recover
The spinal cord is the bundle of nerves that sends information to and from the brain to the rest of the body. An injury here can have far-reaching and debilitating consequences. Additionally, for a previously weakened spinal cord, even minor trauma could have major costs. In other words, a spinal injury has the potential to impair a person’s life forever. Spinal injuries often inflict debilitating constant pain on injured individuals while simultaneously severely limiting their range of motion and the ability to care for themselves and others. If a spine injury was caused by someone else’s negligence, then the wrongfully injured person has the right to file a personal injury claim.
With any traumatic injury, sometimes the physical pain is only just the beginning. If you have wrongfully suffered a spinal injury, then our local Reno spine injury lawyer, Eric Stovall, will stand with you in these difficult times in order to ensure you receive proper restitution. Eric’s previous experience in the insurance industry has taught him that companies often hire attorneys to negotiate the smallest payout possible. Further, he has seen firsthand that some companies treat wrongfully injured victims abhorrently. For this reason, he takes care of all negotiations with insurance companies and has adopted fierce and competent legal strategies that are proven to help bring justice to his clients that have been wrongfully injured by another’s hand.
What Are Common Complications of Brain or Spinal Cord Injuries?
More often than not, spinal cord injury treatment is extensive and slow with an unknown prognosis for recovery. Additionally, patients usually undergo excruciating rehabilitation and physical therapy. Many never regain lost abilities and suffer limited mobility for the rest of their lives. The medical expenses for the lifelong care and treatment of a spinal cord injury can be astronomical and financially debilitating; and, unsurprisingly, victims and their families also suffer a severe emotional toll. Luckily, there are legal rights and options in place that can help you win compensation for medical bills and other costs associated with your brain or spine injury.
The following are some of the most common complications that can arise from brain or spinal cord injuries:
- Concussions. This type of head injury is the most common type of traumatic brain injury and can be life-threatening if not treated promptly. If you are around someone who starts having nausea or is vomiting, showing signs of confusion, memory loss or blurred vision and is sensitive to light, then this could be symptomatic of a concussion and medical help should be sought immediately.
- “Post-concussion syndrome”. Individuals suffering from a brain injury can potentially suffer from this syndrome. Its side effects include cognitive problems, debilitating headaches and severe psychological problems. This condition can profoundly affect nearly every aspect of day-to-day life and is a tremendous hardship for the victim and their loved ones to endure.
- Pneumonia. This respiratory illness — along with asthma — is a common complication of spinal injuries that can be long-term. This is often due to the fact that breathing muscles are weakened when a person suffers a debilitating spine injury, especially if the nerves connecting the diaphragm have been damaged.
- Blood clots. For individuals suffering even from minor spine injuries, mobility is often limited. This immobility is what leads to blood clots forming. Luckily, patients can often manage this issue with medication.
These, among other complications, can make dealing with a spine injury all the more stressful and painful. If you are suffering from any complications from your spinal injury, then you can likely include this in the damages sought in a personal injury claim. A Reno spine injury lawyer can help you determine all the damages you are eligible to pursue in your claim.
What Kind of Treatment is Available for Brain and Spinal Injuries?
Unlike broken bones, internal injuries like spinal or brain injuries can be difficult to identify immediately. However, it is important to seek medical attention if you even think that you have experienced traumatic injury to your brain or spinal cord. Injuries like these are extremely serious and can result in permanent injury or death. Thankfully, modern medicine has come a long way and there are many options that can be utilized in order to treat, fix and manage spine injuries.
The following are three treatments that are commonly available to individuals suffering from brain or spinal injuries:
- Surgery. Open back surgery is an option for those suffering from herniated discs, lesions and other similar spinal injuries. Be aware, however, that this is one of the most complicated medical options and the costs will be extensive. Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to recover compensation that will help cover open back surgery if it is needed.
- Medication. As exampled above, some complications that arise due to spinal injuries — such as blood clots and recurring pneumonia — can be managed effectively by various medicines. You and your general practitioner (G.P.) can devise a personal medical plan that works for you and your circumstances.
- Rehabilitation. With many spinal injuries, the patient’s work is not complete once the initial injury heals. Spinal injuries often have at least a semi-permanent presence for the rest of a person’s life, leaving them with long-term discomfort and pain. Fortunately, spinal cord injury rehabilitation options have progressed alongside modern medicine, leaving spine injury patients with more options to recover. These costs can also usually be included in any personal injury claim.
These are only a few of the many options that could be available to you in your area. However, please note that geography can greatly affect the availability of some treatments. It is important to speak with your specialist and/or G.P. to determine the best course of action for your current and future health.
Have Questions? Contact Our Reno Personal Injury Lawyer Today
Our Reno spine injury lawyer, Eric, has extensive experience supporting wrongfully injured victims in Nevada. Even before becoming a lawyer, he has always been passionate about helping those in need. Eric has made a career out of ensuring that those who have experienced an injury due to the negligence of another receive restitution for past, present and future damages — including medical bills and mental pain and suffering.
Eric is tirelessly committed to helping every client down their path to recovery from a catastrophic injury and that this shows in his proven record of success. If you have been seriously hurt due to someone else’s negligence, then he wants to help you. Please contact our office today for a free consultation with Eric to discuss your options.