What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
Our Reno Car Accident Lawyer Provides Answers
When you are a victim of a car accident, it can greatly affect how you react in situations. It can wreak havoc on a person’s mind, body and soul. Many victims in car accidents find themselves disorientated immediately after the crash and may not know the basic steps to take. There are costly medical bills as well as car repairs and legal fees to consider when searching for compensation. A qualified car accident lawyer at Eric A. Stovall, Ltd. can assist you with a car accident claim in Reno.
What to Do After a Car Accident
Many people fail to realize the importance of gathering pertinent information from everyone at the scene of a car accident. Others may feel extreme stress or become too distraught from the consequences of what happened. However, there are things a victim can do to help solve a potential claim. A few steps to take after a car accident include:
- Check to make sure you and your passengers are okay. A car accident can be a bone-jarring event. After the accident, take time to check whether you have injuries that may require you to stay put. A broken neck or whiplash can be very painful when agitated. If other passengers are in the car, ask if they are okay and able to move. After exiting your vehicle, check to see if the passengers in the other car involved need immediate assistance. If anyone needs medical assistance, then call 911 immediately.
- Notify the police. Once you check to make sure everyone is okay, call authorities to have them fill out an accident report. You will need a copy of the police report to hand over to your lawyer. It is also helpful to write down the officer’s name and badge number.
- Record information about the other people involved. Writing notes can tremendously help you when considering pursuing legal claims. Make sure to write down the driver’s and any passengers’ names, addresses and dates of birth. Do not forget to include the driver’s license number and expiration date as well as the name of the driver’s insurance company. Your Reno car accident lawyer will need this to present to the court.
- Record vehicle information. It is helpful to write down the other car’s make, model as well as the year of the car if you can find it. Walk to the back of the car to notate the license plate number and expiration date. Look through the driver’s side windshield to read and write down the car’s vehicle registration number.
- Get witness information. If there are other people who saw what happened, then make sure to get their names, addresses and phone numbers.
- Draw how the scene looks. Draw a simple picture of the car accident. Make sure to include any landmarks and skid marks. You can also draw where each car was before, during and after the accident as well as notes about the weather, traffic and road conditions. A digital camera or cell phone with a camera can be used to notate this information.
Contact our Reno Car Accident Lawyer Today
Legal help should be sought if there are any catastrophic injuries or death involved. At Eric A. Stovall, Ltd., we sincerely hope that you are not involved in a car accident. However, we understand that accidents do occur. If you or a loved suffers injuries or death stemming from a car accident, then please contact our car accident lawyer now to review your case.